Recent Changes

Wednesday, November 23

  1. page Dairy Creek Oregon edited ... LinksLinks Wikipedia: Dairy Creek (Oregon) Oregon Historical Society Tumblr: "Camp Sce…
    ...
    LinksLinks
    Wikipedia: Dairy Creek (Oregon)
    Oregon Historical Society Tumblr: "Camp Scene, with Hammocks near Dairy Creek - July 1908"
    (view changes)
    3:21 pm

Monday, March 28

Sunday, January 17

  1. page Forest Grove History Timeline edited ... A Post Office was established, with Alvin T. Smith as postmaster. Old College Hall was built. …
    ...
    A Post Office was established, with Alvin T. Smith as postmaster. Old College Hall was built. Teachers at the Academy were often paid in land. Businesses sprung up, including one store, a grist and saw-mill, a tanner, a shoemaker and a blacksmith. Mary Richardson Walker organizes the Maternal Association. Members pledge to pray with and for their children.
    1851
    ...
    April 19th, AfalatisAfalati band ceded lands
    1854
    Alvin T. & Abigail Smith built a New England style home south of Forest Grove.
    (view changes)
    3:54 pm
  2. page Forest Grove History Timeline edited ... 1985 Developed land reached 1,984 acres. 1914 The city of Gaston was incorporated. Sourc…
    ...
    1985
    Developed land reached 1,984 acres.
    1914
    The city of Gaston was incorporated.

    Sources
    “Build us a Beauty,” Forest Grove City Library, Director’s Collection
    (view changes)
    3:52 pm
  3. page Forest Grove History Timeline edited ... 1885 The American Indian boarding school in Forest Grove was moved to Salem, OR in October of…
    ...
    1885
    The American Indian boarding school in Forest Grove was moved to Salem, OR in October of this year.
    1886
    The Forest Grove News-Times newspaper was established.

    1887
    E.W. Haines built a generator on Gales Creek.
    (view changes)
    3:51 pm
  4. page Forest Grove History Timeline edited ... 1970 The City's population was 8,275. 1982 On July 1st, the Forest Grove National Bank cha…
    ...
    1970
    The City's population was 8,275.
    1982
    On July 1st, the Forest Grove National Bank changed their name to Valley National Bank of Oregon.

    1985
    Developed land reached 1,984 acres.
    (view changes)
    3:49 pm
  5. page Forest Grove History Timeline edited ... Vert’s Hall was built downtown and used for many civic functions. The mail arrived daily by a …
    ...
    Vert’s Hall was built downtown and used for many civic functions. The mail arrived daily by a four-horse coach from Portland.
    1880
    ...
    was established in February.February 25th.
    1881
    Forest Grove has a visit from U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes.
    (view changes)
    3:46 pm
  6. page Forest Grove History Timeline edited Year Event Pre-European Contact Native Americans of the Atfalati (Tualatin) group from the K…

    Year
    Event
    Pre-European Contact
    Native Americans of the Atfalati (Tualatin) group from the Kalapuya lived in the area prior to European immigrant arrival, missionary settlement and colonization.
    1792
    Arrival of first Europeans
    1805
    Lewis and Clark visit
    1824-1829
    Smallpox epidemic, by 1829 80% of the indigenous population had died.
    1840
    A.T. and Abigail Smith and Harvey and Emeline Clark set out for Oregon Country as missionaries to local indigenous people.
    1841
    The first European settlers were the Smiths, the Clarks and the Littlejohns. They built a log cabin in September 1841.
    1843
    A provisional government was started. Joseph Gale was on Executive Committee and Alvin T. Smith was magistrate.
    1844
    Harvey Clark arrived in the area and joined with Alvin Smith to start the Congregational Church. Joseph Gale opens the first mill. There are twenty or more adults in two mile circle from center of town.
    1845
    Thomas Naylor claimed 562 acres near the present day downtown. At this time, Forest Grove numbered 15 families and was referred to as West Tualatin Plains.
    1846
    A log cabin was built to function as both meeting house and school, and the Congregational Church held their first camp meeting.
    1848
    Many of the missionaries associated with the Whitman Incident relocated to the West Tualatin Plains. An orphanage, run by Tabitha Brown, opened.
    1849
    The Oregon Territorial Legislature granted Tualatin Academy an official charter Harvey Clark and Tabitha Brown established the Tualatin Academy, a school for children of settlers and a home for orphans. Clark donated 200 acres to trustees of Tualatin Academy. The Academy became a major attraction to new settlers. The charter was amended to add Pacific University. The population grew to about 80 adults. All the land within a two mile circle was claimed by European immigrants.
    1850
    A Post Office was established, with Alvin T. Smith as postmaster. Old College Hall was built. Teachers at the Academy were often paid in land. Businesses sprung up, including one store, a grist and saw-mill, a tanner, a shoemaker and a blacksmith. Mary Richardson Walker organizes the Maternal Association. Members pledge to pray with and for their children.
    1851
    The missionaries disagreed over land issues, and a split occurred in the Congregational Church. Harvey Clark suffered a heart attack, but survived. The first surveyor general of Oregon, John G. Preston, draws the first map with Forest Grove on it. On April 19th, Afalatis ceded lands to European settlers, reserving a small portion for the decimated community along Wapato Lake.
    1854
    Alvin T. & Abigail Smith built a New England style home south of Forest Grove.
    1856
    The two Churches reconciled the land issues. In the footsteps of Harvey Clark, Thomas Condon and Sidney Marsh, Elkanah Walker became the new preacher for the Congregational Church.
    1858
    Both Harvey Clark and Tabitha Brown died in this year.
    1859
    The name “Forest Grove” was officially recognized for the area around Pacific University. This name probably referred to the grove of oak trees on and around the University. Oregon became a state, and the census changed our name from West Tualatin Plains to Forest Grove. In October, after a difficult decade, the new Congregational Church was dedicated.
    1860
    The charter for the Holbrook Lodge of the Masons was granted. Thirteen professions were listed in the census for Forest Grove:
    Profession, Number of Persons
    Farmer, 64
    Laborer, 16
    Carpenter, 6
    Blacksmith, 3
    Cabinetmaker, 2
    Saddler, 2
    Merchant, 2
    Millwright, 2
    Minister 2
    Clerk, 1
    Professor, 1
    Lumberman, 1
    Printer, 1
    1863
    Alvin C. Brown built the Brown family home. Harvey Scott was the first student to graduate from Pacific University.
    1865
    Mrs. Sloan opened the first hotel.
    1866
    A stage coach line ran between Portland, Hillsboro, Forest Grove and Yamhill.
    1869
    Farming was the predominant occupation. A 100-ton steamship carrying both freight and passengers operated on the Tualatin River from Emerick’s Landing, just east of Forest Grove. Also, the first rail was established, which spurred industrial growth around the stop.
    1869
    The sternwheeler “Onward” traveled on the Tualatin River as far as Cornelius, with an average of 17 passengers a day. Harriet Hoover was the first woman to graduate from Pacific University. The population was between 400-500 people, and four or five stores were open on Main and Pacific.
    1870
    396 people lived in Forest Grove and the community started to diversify with only 33% of the population employed as farmers. The rest were merchants and craftsmen or professionals working at the school.
    1871
    For the first time, Forest Grove residents had daily access to Portland. Train tracks were laid as far as Cornelius.
    1872
    The City was officially incorporated and the first newspaper, The Independent, was established.
    1873
    The first election was held and the first city officials were elected. Our town had ten stores, three hotels, three schools, three doctors and one drug store. A weekly newspaper was published on Saturday evenings.
    1874
    Train tracks were laid as far as Dilley and beyond.
    1878
    Vert’s Hall was built downtown and used for many civic functions. The mail arrived daily by a four-horse coach from Portland.
    1880
    Forest Grove, with a population of 547 persons, was larger than Hillsboro. There were four street lights are installed on four corners. Also, the Chemawa Indian Boarding School was established in February.
    1881
    Forest Grove has a visit from U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes.
    1884
    Samuel Grant Hughes began the Independent Telephone Company of Forest Grove (ten years before Bell services). The company also served Cornelius, Banks and Gales Creek.
    1885
    The American Indian boarding school in Forest Grove was moved to Salem, OR in October of this year.
    1887
    E.W. Haines built a generator on Gales Creek.
    1889-1890
    A small pox epidemic hits our town, and the Forest Grove News Times began publication. By 1890, our population was 668.
    1891
    A new city charter was established that changed the form of government from the village elder system to an elected Mayor and Council form of government. First Mayor J.G. Boos is elected. One freight and two passenger trains came out daily from Portland.
    1892
    Electric arc lights were placed on FG streets, and electric power was turned on for first time.
    1893
    A City ordinance was passed in 1893 requiring all buildings in the downtown core to be constructed of brick to reduce the risk of fire. Many of these buildings remain in active use today. Mayor Sam Hughes is elected.
    1894
    A franchise was presented to the Home Telephone Company.
    1895
    The volunteer Fire Department was established, street signs were made and posted, and the City authorized research into establishing a city waterworks and power plant.
    1896
    The Water and Light power plant began operation.
    1897
    An ordinance to prohibit the sale of intoxicating liquors was revised and renewed. FG was a “dry” town.
    Mayor A. Hinman is elected.
    1898
    Dr. C. L. Large was appointed the health officer for the city and was instructed, along with the Board of Health, to examine reported unsanitary conditions in the city.
    1900
    FG Population: 1096. Rail lines connected local residents to Portland and McMinnville, OR.
    Mayor F.T Kane is elected.
    1902
    The Pacific Coast Condensed Milk Creamery was established, and fifty-six new dwellings were built.
    1903
    An anti-cigarette league was formed among small boys in the city.
    1904
    Two new hotels were constructed and approximately seventy-five new houses began construction.
    Mayor Walter Hoge is elected.
    1905
    Mayor C.N. Johnson is elected.
    1906
    Electric inter-urban trains arrived and the Forest Grove Transportation Company installed a street trolley. Forest Grove National bank was established and a telegraph office was built downtown. Over the next two years, ninth and tenth grade were added to the public school system. Mayor M. Peterson is elected.
    1907
    Pacific Avenue was paved. Mayor B. H. Laughlin is elected.
    1908
    The first FG movie theater was built. Mayor J. H. Wirtz appointed for part of 1908.
    1909
    Lincoln School opened, and five brick stores rose on Main Street. More than 150 new residences completed construction.
    1910
    Our population was 1772. Fifty new family homes were built, and FG streets were oiled in summer to keep down the dust. Mayor M. Peterson is elected again.
    1911
    The Commercial Club (an early Chamber of Commerce) met regularly at the Rogers Free Library. A group of business men purchased Macrum Mansion for use as the town hospital, and eighteen blocks of city streets were paved.
    1913
    Oregon women gained the right to vote, and more than 150 Forest Grove women voted.
    1914-1915
    Tualatin Academy ceased operations due to the steep competition with public schools, and the school officially became Pacific University.
    1917
    During World War I, two dozen local young men fought with the Army and Navy, and more than 80 women joined the National Honor Guard.
    1919
    The worst fire in the history of our town destroys a whole business block. Even the Congregational Church burned to the ground.
    1920
    Forest Grove's population was 1,915 people. A motorized fire truck was purchased by the city. The census listed the profession of "logger" for the first time, though "lumberman" had been used in 1860.
    1921
    A new hospital opened on Cedar Street.
    1923
    Cement sidewalks were laid south of Pacific Avenue.
    1924
    Work on Central School, located at 1728 Main Street, began.
    1927
    The nursery industry grew vital to the community: large shipments of daffodil bulbs and prunes were shipped east.
    1929
    The “talkies” came to the Star Theater, and a fire on the block between Main and Council Street caused $45,000 worth of damage. The stock market crashed in October, spiraling the country into the Great Depression.
    1930
    The town shows its first decline in population in 90 years (to 1,859).
    1931
    Central School was finished.
    1932
    Three out of four voters in Forest Grove voted Republican.
    1933 - 1951
    Two Forest Grove banks close permanently in 1933. Residents of our town earned income fighting fires and salvaging timber. Fires raged for 18 years in the area, which became known as the Tillamook Burn. The Great Depression and these major forest fires affecting the logging industry in the Tillamook Forest hurt the local economy and slowed growth. By 1940, Forest grove's population had only grown to 2,450 people.
    1934
    At the end of the Prohibition era, Forest Grove voted to stay dry.
    1935
    The Stimson Lumber Company opened a mill in Scoggins Valley, and used timber from the first Tillamook Burn.
    1937
    A new FG grade school built with WPA money.
    1938
    Citizens and leaders called for the reorganization of city government, which changed to the City Manager system.
    1939
    Buses replaced local train services.
    1940
    At the beginning of World War II, Company 1 of the 186th Infantry went into training at Camp Murray in Fort Lewis, Washington, and the first blackout was held in the city. Our population was 2,449 people.
    1941
    Local students were mobilized to work in strawberry and bean fields, and many residents worked in the Portland shipyards. Rationing began. Two hundred and twenty one Japanese Americans in Forest Grove were sent to internment camps, 137 were U.S. citizens.
    1942
    Public Law 45 allowed local farmers to use migrant laborers from Mexico.
    1944
    Forest Grove continued to vote Republican.
    1945
    College of Optometry opened at Pacific University.
    1946-1949
    The City installed parking meters. A five million gallon water reservoir was built, as well as a municipal swimming pool, ball park and city recreation field were completed.
    1947
    Gay ‘90s and Ballad Town Barbershop contest began, and featured the Forest Grove Gleemen (now Westside Singers). The number of building permits issued were three times the number in 1938.
    1948
    The first water filtration plant was constructed, and local voters approved a $12.3 million bond to replant the Tillamook Burn. Developed land in the area was only 406 acres.
    1950
    Our population was 4,343 people.
    1960s- Present
    Led by food and beverage processing and manufacturing, the local economy includes concentrations of value-added wood products, high-tech industry, education, and health care, while the main agriculture products include nurseries, winemaking and blueberries. Housing types include apartments, homes constructed of modest frame construction built in the 1950’s to modern full-amenity executive housing.
    1970
    The City's population was 8,275.
    1985
    Developed land reached 1,984 acres.
    Sources
    “Build us a Beauty,” Forest Grove City Library, Director’s Collection
    City History from website (http://www.forestgrove-or.gov/visitors/city-history.html)
    Oregon Historical Calendar and Chronology of Events, 1542-1988 by Glenn T. Harding

    (view changes)
    3:43 pm

Tuesday, September 22

  1. page home edited History of Forest Grove, Oregon Ismoon Maria Hunter-Morton, MA History, MLIS Adult Services Li…

    History of Forest Grove, Oregon
    Ismoon Maria Hunter-Morton, MA History, MLIS
    Adult Services Librarian at Forest Grove City Library, 2008-2015
    Librarian, On-Call, at Multnomah County Library, 2007-Present
    ismoon.maria@gmail.com

    This wiki contains notes and information pertaining to the history of Forest Grove, Oregon and surrounding communities which include Banks, Blooming, Buxton, Carnation, Cherry Grove, Cornelius, Dairy Creek, Dilley, Gales Creek, Gaston, Glenwood, Greenville, Hayward, Hillside, Laurelwood, Manning, Roy, Thatcher and Verboort. Information provided comes from the Eric G. Stewart (EGS) Collection, housed at Forest Grove City Library (FGL).
    Contents
    ...
    McMenamins Grand Lodge - History
    Visitors Information from the City's website
    Ismoon Maria Hunter-Morton, MA History, MLIS
    Adult Services Librarian, Forest Grove City Library, 2008-2015
    Librarian, On-Call, Multnomah County Library, 2007-Present
    ismoon.maria@gmail.com

    (view changes)
    6:39 pm

More