Oregon Historical Quarterly Index
Local and Forest Grove History
May 4, 2015

Date

Title

Author

Vol./No.

Page

Notes
Sept. 1900

Indian Names

Lyman, H.S.

Vol. 1, No.3

323

Evidence of a Native American village in what is now Forest Grove called "Koot-pahl." Also, Tualatin was "Twhah-la-ti," David's Hill was "Tahm-yahn" and an open spot "up Gales' Creek Valley was Pa-ach-ti."
Sept. 1901

Reminiscences of Alanson Hinman

Robertson, James. R. and A. Hinman

Vol. 2, No. 3

266-286

FG Pioneer
Dec. 1901

Political History of Oregon

Fenton, Wm. D.

Vol. 2, No. 4

353

Railroad in FG
Sept. 1902

Recollections of Grandma Brown

Lyman, H.S. and Jane Kinney Smith

Vol. 3, No.3

289

Mrs. Tabitha Brown, local pioneer, personal memoirs.
Dec. 1902

The Oregon Central Railroad. Beginning of Oregon Railroad Development

Gaston, Joseph

Vol. 3, No. 4

315-326

p. 325
June 1904

A Brimfield Heroine -- Mrs. Tabitha Brown



Vol. 5, No. 2

199-205

A letter from 1854, found in 1904.
June 1905

Origin of Pacific University

Robertson, James Rood

Vol. 6, No. 2

109-146

"Orphan Asylum," "The present name Forest Grove was given to the prospective town in 1851, in preference to the name Vernon, by the trustees of the academy."


Accessions. Documents.





232

"Commission issued by James Campbell, Postmaster General, United States of America, to Alvin T. Smith, as postmaster at Tualatin, Washington County (now Forest Grove), April 9, 1853"
June 1906

The Genesis of the Oregon Railway System

Gaston, Joseph

Vol. 7, No. 2

105-132

The West Side Road: "branch from the line at Forest Grove through Nehalem..." (119)
Dec. 1907

History of Organization of the Oregon State Agricultural Society

Himes, George H.

Vol. 8, No. 4

332

Forest Grove
March 1912

A Glimpse into Prehistoric Oregon

McCornack, Ellen Condon

Vol. 13, No. 1

3-13

"In the northern part of this Willamette Sound the Chehalem Mountains formed a fine wooded island from which could be seen the broad bay that covered Tualatin plains, on whose waters one might have sailed more than a hundred feet above the present towns of Forest Grove and Hillsboro." (7). Granite boulders "were dropped into the Willamette Sound (now Tualatin Valley) by melting icebergs." (8)
Dec. 1914

History of Astoria Railroad

Scott, Leslie M.

Vol. 15, No. 4

223, 230

Forest Grove
Sept. 1916

Correspondence of the Reverend Ezra Fisher: Pioneer Missionary of the American Baptist Home Mission Society in Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and Oregon

Henderson, Sarah Fisher et. al.

Vol. 17, No. 3

270

"Rode ten miles to Mr. Clark's camp ground, (Note 162: The site of the present Forest Grove)..."
Sept. 1918

" (continued)

"

Vol. 19, No. 3

236-237

Forest Grove was called West Tualatin Plains in 1853. Discusses "an open log school (a thing noways uncommon in Oregon)," Tualatin Academy / Congregational Church. Also there is evidence that the Reverend baptized parishioners in Gale's Creek.
June 1919

History of the Narrow Gauge Railroad in the Willamette Valley

Scott, Leslie M.

Vol. 20, No. 2

141-158

Joseph Gaston "promoted Portland-Forest Grove railroad in 1867-70," pledging his own land to support the project (143). Had inadequate financial resources, taken over by Scotch capitalists.
June 1919

Beginnings of Christianity in Oregon

Himes, George H.

Vol. 20, No. 2

159-172

Forest Grove
March 1920

Pacific University

Bates, Henry L.

Vol.21, No.1



Pacific U history
June 1923

Reminiscences of James E.R. Harrell

Lockley, Fred

Vol. 24, No. 2

186-192

Lockley is a local author, and Mr. Harrell lived in FG for a bit.
Sept. 1923

John Work's Journey from Fort Vancouver to Umpqua River, and Return, in 1834.

Work, John and Leslie M. Scott

Vol. 24, No. 3

238-268

Dairy Creek, Scoggins Valley, Dilley, Gale's Creek, Forest Grove.
Sept. 1924

The History of the Oregon and California Railroad

Ganoe, John Tilson

Vol. 25, No. 3

236-283

West Side Company obtained a grant from Congress, featuring "right of way one hundred feet wide from Forest Grove to Astoria" (258). Joseph Gaston helped West Side Company get the grant, which was "dependent upon the amount of road constructed... the road was built from Portland to Forest Grove..." (262).
Sept. 1925

The Newspapers of Oregon 1846-1870

Ludington, Flora Belle

Vol. 26, No. 3

229-262

Evidence that the first FG newspaper was called Forest Grove Monthly ("Independent paper first issues in June, 1864.") (239).
March 1926

Oregon Geographic Names

McArthur, Lewis A.

Vol. 27, No. 1

145

"CARNATION, Washington County. The post office just south of Forest Grove was established May 20, 1905, with Clarence L. Bump first postmaster. It was so named because the Carnation Milk Products Company formerly had a condensery near the place, and Mr. Bump's store where the post office was located was the Carnation store."
Sept. 1927

Oregon Geographic Names

McArthur, Lewis A.

Vol. 28, No. 3

291

Forest Grove
Sept. 1929

Oregon's Provisional Government, 1843-49

Scott, Leslie M.

Vol. 30, No. 3

207-217

Alvin T. Smith
June 1932

Lutheran Education in Oregon

Simon, Martin P.

Vol. 33, No. 2

164-168

Cornelius, 164-165.
March 1934

Historic American Buildings Survey

Parker, Jamieson

Vol. 35, No. 1

32-41

p. 36
Sept. 1938

The Wascopam Mission

Hillgen, Marcella M.

Vol. 39, No. 3

222-234

Alvin T. Smith
March 1940

Necrology (Obituaries)



Vol. 41, No. 1

114

"Dilley, Allan Sherman, Forest Grove, December 28, 1939, 73, born at Forest Grove. The town of Dilley was named for his family."
Dec. 1943

Oregon Geographic Names: Fifth Supplement

McArthur, Lewis A.

Vo. 44, No. 4

344

"DAIRY CREEK, Washington County. Dairy Creek and its tributaries are an important part of the Tualatin River drainage. The main stream is formed by two long branches with join a few miles northeast of Forest Grove. West Fork Dairy Creek rises near Buxton and East Fork Dairy Creek rises in the extreme south part of Columbia County north of Mountaindale.
"

Early Electric Interurbans in Oregon: II. The Oregon Electric and Southern Pacific Systems

Mills, Randall V.

"

386-410

trains in FG
June 1945

Recent History of Oregon's Electric Interurbans

Mills, Randall V.

Vol. 46, No. 2

112-139

see pg. 124
March 1946

Oregon Geographic Names: Additions since 1944

McArthur, Lewis A.

Vol. 47, No. 1

61-96

"THATCHER, Washington County: Thatcher is a cross-roads community about three miles northwest of Forest Grove and close to the northeast slope of David Hill. The place was named for Harmon and Jemima Thatcher who took up a homestead in the locality in early pioneer days. THe Thatchers were married in Indiana in 1847 and came to Oregon soon afterward, but the writer does not know the exact year. Thatcher post office was established August 3, 1895, with Thomas J. Clark first postmaster. The office was closed August 21, 1902" p. 95
Sept. 1959

News Notes



Vol. 60, No. 3

424

"William Geiger, Jr., early Forest Grove settler, is the subject of 'Experience of Pioneer Retained in PU Museum'" (News Times, 21 May 1959).
March 1962

After the Covered Wagons: Recollections of Russell C. and Ellis S. Dement

Jackman, E.R.; Russell C. Dement and Ellis S. Dement

Vol. 63, No. 1

4-40

pg. 32, Gales Creek and Forest Grove.
March 1970

Economic Importance of Early Transcontinental Railroads: Pacific Northwest

Cochran, John S.

Vol. 71, No. 1

26-98


Dec. 1975

Recent Items of Interest: Land Of Tuality, Washington County, Oregon, Vol. I

Washington County Historical Society

Vol. 76, No. 4

381

Review of book by WCHS. Book includes a biographical sketch of Meek, material of the Gaston Congregational Church.
March 1976

Letter from a Hiker

Lomax, Alfred L.

Vol. 77, No. 1

67-71

The hiker's starting point is Forest Grove.
Fall, 1985

Portland: Wells Fargo's Hub for the Pacific Northwest

Jackson, W. Turrentine

Vol. 86, No. 3

229-266

Forest Grove Wells Fargo office p. 256
Summer 1986

Organized for free thought in Oregon: The Oregon State Secular Union

Brandt, Patricia

Vol. 87, No. 2

173

Forest Grove
Winter 1990

The Two Lives of John Smith Griffin

Richardson, Steven W.

Vol. 91, No. 4

341-370

Congregational Church founding
Spring 1993

Oregon Photography: The First Fifty Years

Toedtemeier, Terry

Vol. 94, No. 1

36-76

p. 58
Winter 1997/1998

Through the Lens of Assimilation: Edwin L. Chalcraft and Chemawa Indian School

Collins, Cary C.

Vol. 98, No. 4

390-425

Chemawa Indian School history
Winter 1999

Hunting Reds in Oregon, 1935-1939

Murrell, Gary

Vol. 100, No. 4

374-401

Gaston Mill Strike p. 383
Winter 2000

The Broken Crucible of Assimilation: Forest Grove Indian School and the Origins of Off-Reservation Boarding-School Education in the West

Collins, Cary C.

Vol.101, No.4

466-507

Chemawa Indian School history
Winter 2000

The Evolution of Chemawa Indian School: From Red River to Salem, 1825-1885

Reddick, SuAnn M.

Vol.101, No.4

444-465

Chemawa Indian School history
Winter 2000

Forest Grove and Chemawa Indian School: The First Off-Reservation Boarding School in the West

Reddick, SuAnn M.

Vol.101, No. 4

442-443

Chemawa Indian School history
Spring 2001

To Seek, Suffer, and Trust: Ascetic Devotion in a Modern Church on the Frontier

Thomas, David C.

Vol. 102, No. 1

48-71

p. 50, 70-71
Fall 2001

The Good Fight: Forest Fire Protection and the Pacific Northwest

Robbins, William G.

Vol. 102, No. 3

270-289

"In 1933, a dragline snapped at the Gales Creek logging camp, creating a spark that started a fire in the Tillamook Forest in northwestern Oregon."(270)
Fall 2005

The Stevens Treaties of 1854-1855

Richards, Kent

Vol. 106, No. 3

342-350

p. 348
Winter 2006

Telling Stories, Building Altars: Mexican American Women's Altars in Oregon

Ricciardi, Gabriella

Vol. 107, No 4

536-552

Maria Angel in FG
Summer 2007

Oregon Places: John Charles Olmsted and Campus Design in Oregon

Hockaday, Joan

Vol. 108, No. 2

278-293

Pacific University
Fall 2007

Oregon Voices: George Atkinson, Harvey Scott, and the Portland High School Controversy of 1880

Sevetson, Donald J.

Vol. 108, No. 3

458-473

p. 460
Summer 2008

The Fruits of Her Labor: Women, Children, and Progressive Era Reformers in the Pacific Northwest Canning Industry

Hall, Greg

Vol. 109, No. 2

226-251

Canning history in FG and county.
Summer 2010

Connecting Oregon: The Slow Road to Rapid Communications, 1843-2009

Dillow, Frank

Vol. 111, No. 2

184-219

"The 'father of the independent [non- Bell] telephone system" in Oregon, Samuel Grant Hughes constructed a primitive telephone switchboard and began the Independent Telephone Company of Forest Grove in 1884, ten years before the Bell patents expired. By 1908...his company served seven hundred customers in Forest Grove, Cornelius, Banks and Gales Creek." (198)
Fall 2011

Building an Alternative: People's Food Cooperative in Southeast Portland

Brown, Marc D.

Vol. 112, No. 3

298-321

FG and Buxton mentioned in foot notes about other cooperatives in the metro area. First, there was a food-buying club in Buxton in 1971. It turned into the Hope Neighborhood Food Cooperative in 1973. In 1977, it moved to Forest Grove and became the After Hope Neighborhood Food Co-op. They closed in 1987.