Here is some local information on the history of Carnation, Oregon (now a part of Forest Grove), which was named after the local Carnation Milk Condensary that the town formed around.

Contents
1 Books & Articles
2 Links
3 Photos

Books & Articles


  • McArthur, Lewis A. "Oregon Geographic Names," Quarterly of the Oregon Historical Quarterly, Vol 27, No 1 (March 1926): 145.
    • "CARNATION, Washington County. This post office just south of Forest Grove was established May 20, 1905, with Clarence L. Bump first postmaster. It was so named because the Carnation Milk Products Company formerly had a condensery near the place, and Mr. Bump's store where the post office was located was the Carnation store.
  • Weaver, John Downing. Carnation: The First 75 Years, 1899-1974. Carnation Company, 1974.

Links




Photos



Digital photos of Carnation and its industries can be found through Washington County Heritage Online (WCHO): Carnation.

Here is a photo and hand drawn map from Mr. Stewart's archive (Box 1/Folder 7/ Position 9):
carnation1928.JPG

See also these books in the Stewart History Room.