In 1850, Forest Grove had the following buisnesses:

  • Post Office
  • Store
  • Grist
  • Saw-Mill
  • Tanner
  • Shoemaker
  • Blacksmith


In 1860, Forest Grove had thirteen professions listed in our census informaiton. By 1869, there were
Four to five stores are open on Main and Pacific.

Profession
Number of Persons
Farmer
64
Laborer
16
Carpenter
6
Blacksmith
3
Cabinetmaker
2
Saddler
2
Merchant
2
Millwright
2
Minister
2
Clerk
1
Professor
1
Lumberman
1
Printer
1

In 1870, Forest Grove had the following businesses:
  • ten stores
  • three hotels
  • three schools
  • three doctors
  • a drug store
  • a newspaper

Examples of 1870s businesses in FG:
  1. In November 1873, A. Hinman's store wrote up an ad saying his was a "New Store! Just Opened!," and was published in the FG Independent and Argus in October/November of 1874. (EGS Collection, B1/F2/P4)
  2. In January 1874, an ad ran in the FG Independent for Mr. Brown's Forest Grove Libery and Stable. This was a place to rent a horse for travel or to lodge/feed your own horse. It was located on the corner of Pine and Birch.
  3. In June of 1876, there was a section of the Washington Independent (Hillsboro, OR) called "New Advertisements," which featured an ad for an "Agricultural Warehouse" owned by S. Hughes in Forest Grove, Ore. They delt in plows, wagons, threshers, and harvesting goods, as well as hardware, tools, harness / saddlery, and even window glass. (EGS Collection, B1 /F2 / P11)