Kellog Villa, located on the east side of A Street between Pacific Ave and 21st Ave. The area is now a parking lot.

Pacific University and Forest Grove - A Look Into the Past

Text and Photographs by Dr. Margaret Gilbert, Forest Grove historian
Funding provided by Tualatin Plains Historical Society
In memory of Mary Windel, a member of a Forest Grove Pioneer family

[Photo 1] ("Old College Hall Through Trees")

Tualatin Academy and Pacific University [Photo 2]
Tualatin Academy was organized in September 1848. The first classes were held in the log church built by the First Congregational Church of what was then called West Tualatin Plains. This building stood on the present campus of Pacific University, at a location west of the south end of Marsh Hall, a place where the graduating class of 1867 erected a petrified log as a marker.

In 1850 The Rev. Harvey Clarke, president of the Board of Trustees of the Academy, hired a local carpenter, Milton Tuttle, to build a new classroom building. On July 9th and 10th, 1850, the people of the Tualatin Plains gathered for a 'wall raising' for a large new classroom building. The building was roofed over, and one classroom was set up in half of he lower floor of the new building. Classes started there in March 1851. This building of 1850 stood where Marsh Hall now stands. In 1893, when Marsh Hall was started, it was moved across the campus to stand where the east end of Washburn Hall now stands. Here the building was officially named Science Hall, but the students soon called it Chem Shack. When Washburn Hall was built, the 113 year old building was moved again, to its present location, where it is now named Old College Hall.

In 1868-1870 a second classroom building, very similar in appearance to the first one, was built about where the north end of the Harvey Scott Library now stands. The new building became known as the Academy Building, while the 1850 building was called College Hall. The upper right picture on the opposite page is a photograph taken about 1872. [Photo 3] It shows the College Hall on the left side of the picture and the new Academy Building on the right side. Note the similarities between the two buildings. Both buildings are seen from the east - the photographer was standing in front of the present location of Old College Hall.

The lower picture on the facing page [Photo 4] is a photo taken in about 1887, showing the first three buildings on the campus: the College building on the left, almost hidden by the tree; the Academy building in the center, also surrounded with trees; and on the right side is the first (1882) dormitory, Ladies Hall. The campus, partially enclosed by these three buildings, is treeless, shrubless, and judging from the number of student seen, must have been the common meeting and playing ground. David's Hill forms the distant background behind the Academy building and Ladies Hall. The photographer must have been standing near present day Cedar Street, at the corner of 21st and Cedar.

Ladies Hall [Photo 5]
The first dormitory for the college was built in 1882 during the presidency of The Rev. John Herrick. In 1895 when the new classroom building was named for President Marsh, the name of this building was changed to Herrick Hall. Herrick Hall burned on March 11, 1906, during the presidency of William Ferrin.

Herrick Hall [Photo 6]
After Marsh Hall was built in 1895, the name of Ladies Hall was changed to Herrick Hall, in honor of President Herrick, who had been president when the first dormitory was built. In this picture, President McClelland and his family are seen standing at the front door of Herrick Hall. The bearded man at the far right end of the balcony is believed to be Dr. James R. Robertson, professor of history at Pacific University. As far as is known now, the rest of the people on the balcony and roof were students.

During the years 1880--1885 a school for Indians was established at Forest Grove. The U.S. Government supplied the money, the trustees of Tualatin Academy and Pacific University supplied the site and supervised the activities of the school. Captain M.C. Wilkinson, an army officer, was in charge of running the Indian school, and also taught military drill to Pacific men. Faculty and students of the college taught at the Indian school, as did a number of Forest Grove townspeople, who provided special training in shoe repairing and construction, blacksmithing, farming and other trades. [Photo 7 and Photo 8]

The farm and buildings of the Indian School were in the NW section of Forest Grove at the time, west of present day C Street, and north of 22nd Avenue. In 1881, 43 boys and 20 girls were enrolled in the school. The girls were taught cooking, sewing, and housekeeping.

In 1885 the school was moved to the vicinity of Salem, where it has continued to educate Indian children ever since 1885. The school is now named Chemawa. The buildings left on the old school site in Forest Grove were used by the college as dormitories or rooming houses for men. One of these dormitories was still in use in 1905.

Marsh Hall Cornerstone Laying [Photo 9]
In 1893 the need for more classrooms led President McClelland to start raising money for a new building. Citizens of Forest Grove pledged $15,000 to start the campaign. Ground was broken in June 1893, when College Hall was moved to a new site on the campus, and Marsh Hall was started to be built on the same spot where the first building had stood for 43 years.

The cornerstone laying was a major event in Forest Grove that year (above photo). The new building was dedicated as Marsh Hall, in honor of Sidney Harper Marsh, the first president of Tualatin Academy and Pacific University. The building was a three story brick building with a large basement. The classrooms had real slate blackboards; the building was heated through central hot water heat; it was lighted with electricity -- all attributes new in Forest Grove buildings. When Commencement was held in Marsh Hall in June 1895, the town newspaper praised the building and the college profusely.

Marsh Hall stood south of the Academy Building. Early pictures such as these [Photo 10] show Marsh without the vines that later grew over it.

Soon after 1900 the Academy Building was remodeled, with a two story addition plus a portico added to the west face of the building. The pile of logs stacked outside of the building was a common sight in Forest Grove at that time, when even the new City Power Plant was powered by four foot fir logs. The four chimneys of the original Academy Building were replaced by a single brick chimney. The cupola on the roof, which closely resembled the cupola that still tops Old College Hall, was not removed during the remodeling.

The Academy Building continued to provide classrooms for Tualatin Academy until it burned in 1911 (EGS notes: Oct. 26, 1910). During several years the city of Forest Grove rented one or two classrooms in the Academy Building to house the growing number of children enrolling in the city Public Grammar School.

College Classes were held in Marsh Hall, beginning in 1895 [Photo 11].

The upper picture [Photo 12] shows the campus and buildings between 1893 (Marsh Hall built) and 1906 (Herrick Hall Burned). From left to right the buildings are; Marsh Hall, Academy Building, Science Hall, Herrick Hall. A board fence bounds the campus along Pacific avenue (left) and present day Cedar Street. Trees have been planted along the east border of the campus.

One building, the first college gym, is not shown in the campus view because Science Hall hides it. The lower picture [Photo 13] is of the first gym. It had been a Baptist church building, which the college bought and moved onto the campus in about 1895. Other pictures show that it stood north and slightly west of Science Hall. This gym was replaced in 1911 by a new gym on the same location.

The city of Forest Grove stored its first fire wagon in the college gym for a short time. An article in the newspaper of 1895 describes the volunteer firemen running from their stores to the gym, dragging out the fire wagon, (and) racing off to a fire.

Herrick Hall burned to the ground on March 11, 1906. [Photo 14] The fire was started by sparks from a chimney which fell on the roof, and were fanned into flames by a strong east wind. President William Ferrin immediately started raising money to rebuild the dormitory. The new Herrick Hall was built on the same location as the first Herrick Hall, but with the main entrance facing west instead of south.

New brick Herrick Hall [Photo 15]

Entrance hall and a parlor in the second Herrick Hall [Photo 16]

Campus scene between 1906 (2nd Herrick Hall built) and (1910) Academy burned. Left to Right: Science Hall; Herrick Hall; Academy: Marsh Hall. The buildings appear to be closer together than they really were. [Photo 17]

Academy Building burning; not the central chimney still standing (Oct. 26, 1910). [Photo 18]

Carnegie Library, built in 1912 by President William Ferrin [Photo 19]

These two pictures [Photo 20 & Photo 21] were taken about 1907 on the campus. In the upper picture the group is gathered on the west campus, in front of Marsh Hall, with the Congregational church shown in the background. In the lower picture, the people are on the east campus, south of the new Herrick Hall, seen at the left. Both pictures show a group of people doing (or getting prepared to do) archery under the leadership of Mr. Friend S. Barnes, the man with the white beard, and wearing a cap, standing in front of the target in each picture.

F.S. Barnes was a local watchmaker whose hobby was making bows and arrows out of Oregon yew wood. Barnes bows and arrows were famous among archers throughout the world, and were used frequently in archery competitions.

In the upper picture [Photo 20], the names of the people are listed on the back of the original print, probably by Margaret Hinman, the young woman at the far left. The others are, left to right: Mrs. Mary MacKenzie, Miss Anna Penfield, Mrs. A. U. Marsh, Dr. H. L. Bates (principal of Tualatin Academy). Looking over the target is Arlye Marsh and in front of the target is Margaret Marsh. Then Mr. Friend S. Barnes, Prof. Orr, Lelo Nicklin, Lillian Bain, prof. Ben Kori, Manche Langley. The right hand man is not identified.

The names of the participants in the lower picture are not given.

Theater was always a successful activity at Pacific. The above poster [Photo 22] of photographs advertised the presentation of the Greek play Antigone by the students of the Public Speaking Dept. in 1903. As the banner across the top shows, the play was presented in Vert's Hall, a large public hall that stood near the SW corner of Main Street and Pacific Avenue. Apparently the play was also given over on the Coast, unless the person who made the poster considered this the Coast. The most interesting item is a statement that this was the first Greek play ever given on the Coast.

Twenty people took part in the performance. A few of them are named on the back of the original print. They are: Ora Caples, Mary Bailey, Will Hale, Ed Meresse, Walter Dimick, and a Ferrin (no first name given) possibly a member of President Ferrin's family.

The photo on the left [Photo 23] is a play (or perhaps a pageant) given in 1907 and 1908, entitled The Bridge of the Gods. The script was written by Frances Clapp and H. Arnston. In 1907 the play was given on the campus in a woodsy setting, possibly outdoors. In 1908 the play was repeated in Seattle at the Alaska-Yukon celebration, with the same actors, for a period of one month. The typed script for The Bridge of the Gods is preserved in the College Museum. The two actors shown in this picture are stated to be Minnie Heidel and Charles Aller.

The photo on the right [Photo 24] is a play entitled Charles XII. The language used in the play was German; the date when it was presented was 1899. No names of the actors were given on the original print.

[Photo 25] Philomathean Society -- about 1904. Seated: Esther Silverman, May Emmel, Ethel Watters, Livia Ferrin, Sarah Bolderick, Pearly Chandler, Ethel Moseley, Christine Wilson. Standing: Helen Bollinger, Nora Emmel, Martha Holmes, Vera Jackson, Clara Irvine, Carrie Fitch, Frances Sorensen, Minnie Heidle, Lilla Irvine. Five names are missing.

[Photo 26] Early tennis club - about 1900, no names given.

Track Team of 1903 [Photo 27] Front row: Gwynn; Peterson; Gilbert; Gates; Dye. Center row: not named; Hall; Walker; Prideaux, McKenzie. Back row: Roy Heater, coach; Barnet; Josh Philbrook; Watson Philbrook; Hale; the manager.

[Photo 28, Photo 29, & Photo 30] These pictures of the annual May Day celebration were taken during the presidency of Dr. C.J. Bushnell, 1914-1917. This particular celebration is occurring on the campus just west of Marsh Hall, with the May Queen and her court watching from the steps of Marsh Hall. Other years the celebration was sometimes held at other parts of the campus. No names were given on the original prints of these pictures.

McCormick Hall
Built in 1923 as a men's dormitory, paid for in part by a gift from Mrs. Robert L. McCormick of Tacoma [Photo 31].

In 1948 the University acquired a number of Public Housing Authority Buildings from the Government, and moved them to the campus to serve as apartments for returning veterans and their families. The buildings were set up on the far northeast corner of the campus, as shown in this areal view. The athletic field in the upper right corner, the tennis courts upper top, and Herrick hall in the left edge of the photo help to locate the buildings. Cedar Street cuts diagonally across the lower right corner of the picture. the buildings came from a government camp at Vancouver, Washington. They were later called the University Apartments. The buildings were removed during 1962-65. [Photo 32]

[Photo 33] The log cabin built by the Rev. Harvey Clarke in 1846 on his Donation Land Claim. This cabin was still standing in 1896 on the SW corner of present Elm Street and 15th Avenue. Note the electric pole standing outside the fence -- the city put up light poles along Elm Street in 1896. The cabin was torn down soon after that date. Harvey Clarke died in 1858, and his wife Emeline sold her land to Robert Painter in 1865.

[Photo 34] The first Post Office for West Tualatin Plains. Both of the log buildings in the photo were built by A.T. Smith, the first settler of the future Forest Grove region. In 1850 Smith was appointed Post Master by the U.S. Government. He used one of his extra log cabins as post office (the left one in this picture), and the other for storage, perhaps later for a small store. In 1859 Smith turned over the postmaster job to Joseph Rafferty. At that time the name of the settlement was officially changed to Forest Grove.

[Photo 35] The third house built by Alvin T. Smith for his wife and himself. In his diary he tells about working on "his new house" through 1852-53. In 1854 he seems to be living in the new house. This house still stands beyond the south end of Elm Street, in the location where it was built in 1854. It has been occupied as a farm home most of the intervening years. It is the oldest house in the Forest Grove vicinity. The oldest building in Forest Grove is Old College Hall, on the campus.

Walker Family and Home1895
Elkanah and Mary Walker were early settlers of Forest Grove (1849). They had come west from New England as missionaries to the Spokane Indians, near present town of Spokane. In 1848, after the Whitman massacre (AKA Whitman Incident), they and their children were brought south by the Hudson Bay Company. In 1849 they moved to this region from Oregon City so that their children could attend Tualatin Academy. Elkanah Walker served as pastor for the First Congregational Church of Forest Grove from 1856 to 1866.

This picture (1895) [Photo 36] of Mary Walker and her children was taken at their home on north B Street in about 1895. The six sons are, left to right: Joseph Elkanah; John; Cyrus; Mark; Levi; Samuel. Mary Richardson Walker is seated, with her daughter Abigail Walker Karr standing at her left. Elkanah Walker died in 1877.

Benjamin H. Catching Family
Left to right [Photo 37]: Charles Dixon; Mrs. Frank catching, Benjamin H. Catching; Mrs. Owen, mother of Mrs. Frank Catching; Mr. Dixon; Edward Catching; Annie E. Catching; Frank Catching.

Benjamin H. Catching and his wife Lavina came to Oregon from Kentucky in 1849. He settled on land that included present day Mountain View Cemetery and all the land directly east of the cemetery to Sunset Drive.

The handwritten notes and names of the back of the original photography that these people are taking balsam from a felled fir tree.

Forest Grove has many handsome houses that were built during the 19th century. Three are pictured here: one still stands and is in use, the other two are gone.

The Marsh House [Photo 38] stands on College way, across from the campus. It was built in 1879-80 when President Marsh and his family were living in the house next south of this house. President Marsh died in 1879, but his widow and children lived in this house for many years after his death. The house now serves as classrooms and office for the Music dept.

The Ward mansion [above]. Little is known about this house except for the owner -- Dr. Daniel W. Ward and its location -- on the east side of A Street between Pacific Avenue and 21st Avenue.

The Rogers house [Photo 40] was built in 1893 by Dr. George Rogers, a retired dentist. Dr. Rogers died in 1900, but his widow, Adeline Rogers, lived in this house until her death in 1922. The house was built in the midst of a woods that is now called Rogers Park. The architecture, furnishing, and landscaping of this house were all elegant. The house was torn down about 1940, and the block of land it stood on became a city park.

First Congregational Church [Photo 41], built in 1859 on College Way, across from the campus, where the present United Church of Christ now stands.

Methodist Church [Photo 42], built in 1883 on the NE corner of Birch Street and 18th Avenue.

First Christian Church [Photo 43] built in 1891, on the NW corner of present day 19th Avenue and Cedar Street.

Two views of Forest Grove taken near to 1910 [Photo 44; EGS: "Not There. Tower on W. Side of A St."]. The upper photo is an aerial view taken from the top of the water tower (that stood north of the present First Interstate Bank building). The intersection of Pacific Avenue and A Street forms the lower right corner of the picture. On Pacific Avenue (across the lower left) the car tracks of the streetcar line, turn from A Street to run east on Pacific. Two buildings are seen on the south side of Pacific: the Forest Grove Hotel (to the left), and the cottage of Professor Joseph Marsh, brother of S.H. Marsh. A Street lies on the lower right corner of the photo. Near the Public Grammar School, standing on 18th Avenue between Main Street and A Street, where Central School now stands. The rest of the photo shows the southeast part of Forest Grove, with the Chehalem Mountains forming the sky-line.

This photo [Photo 45] shows the Forest Grove Hotel, Professor Marsh's house, and the street. The hotel stood on the lot where the mortuary now stands. The hotel was started in 1865 by Mrs. Sarah Sloan, who ran 'Sloan's Hotel' here for twenty-seven years. Mrs. Sloan became well known for her cooking, hospitality, and good spirits. Although the name of the hotel was changed to Forest Grove Hotel, it was known locally as Sloan's hotel for many years.

[Photo 46] Buildings on the west side of North Main Street in about 1900. Five of these buildings were built of brick during 1890-1900 decade, after the City passed a fire control ordinance that prohibited any new wooden buildings in the downtown area. In this photo, starting at the right, the first two buildings, a hostelry and a drug store, are now the two buildings of French's store. The next two buildings, with awnings, five 2nd story windows each, and similar cornices are now Broderson's two buildings. Near the left side of the photo is a building with large protruding bay windows on the second story; this building has recently been housed the Grove Furniture store.

This photo shows only the northern 2/3 of the west side of North Main Street. The remainder of that street is shown in the upper photo on the facing page.

North Main Street
[Photo 47] The east side of the street in 1900 was lined by a hitching rail where customers could tie their horses and park their wagons. No business buildings existed along the east side of N. Main either 1900 or 1910, since the entire block of land east of North main was owned by the First Congregational Church, which stood on the north part of this block. (a copy of this photograph can be found in EGS Box 15, Folder Title: Streets)

In the lower photo [Photo 48] a street car of the Forest Grove Transportation Co. is shown. The street car line ran from the railroad station at Carnation, north on (present day) Elm Street, west on Pacific Avenue, North on A street, where the street car stopped at the Laughlin Hotel. It then traveled West on 21st to College Way (EGS: W on Pacific, N on A St, W on 21st to College Way). The exact dates for the car line are debated, but are reported to be about 1906-1909 (EGS: 1906-1911).

Pacific Avenue before 1912 [Photo 49], when the building on the right side, labeled V. S. ABRAHAM, was replaced by the First National Bank Building. The photographer is standing in the street at the intersection of Council Street with Pacific Avenue. Main Street crosses Pacific Avenue in front of the V. S. Abraham store on the right and the Forest Grove Bank building on the left (south) side. On the right side of Pacific there are no buildings seen along Pacific Avenue, since this land was still owned by the Congregational Church. On the left side, the small wood building (with two men in the doorway) was a Chinese laundry at the time of the photo. It was later replaced with a brick building that was made to be an integral part of the building next to it. This larger building then housed A.G. Hoffman's store; the writer does not know whether Hoffman built the building. In recent years this enlarged building housed the J.C. Penny story, and now houses Frye's Action Athletics. The remaining four buildings, from the Miss Kirkwood Millinery sign, west to Main Street, are brick buildings that are still in use on Pacific Avenue. West beyond Main Street, the Forest Grove National Bank (built in 1908), the jewelry store building, and the Knights of Pythian building are identifiable. (EGS: Shows Street Paved in Oct. 1911)

Pacific Avenue in the Winter [Photo 50]. The photographer is standing on west Pacific Avenue, in the middle of the block between Main and A Street. The Forest Grove Hotel is partly shown on the right (south) side of the street. A street car is stopped on the track in front of the hotel. The Knights of Pythias Hall, built in 1909, stands next to the hotel. Beyond that is the building that housed Abbot's jewelry store; beyond the jewelry store is the Forest Grove National Bank. Protruding out beyond the bank and across Main Street is the Johnson Building, a large brick building that still stands on the SE corner of S. Main and Pacific Avenue. At the time when this picture was taken, the Johnson Building was occupied by Goff's Hardware store. Goff also sold farm machinery and automobiles.

Forest Grove National Bank [Photo 51] was built in 1908 (EGS: 1907-07 Opened Mar. 4, 1907) on the SW Corner of Pacific Avenue and Main Street. In this photo, one of Forest Grove's historic buildings, Vert's Hall, shows close against the back wall of the bank. Vert's Hall was built in 1878 as a combined Masonic Lodge (2nd floor) and an open public meeting hall, where meetings, school graduations, banquets, elections, and some city council meetings were held. Vert's Hall was bought by the bank and removed in about 1922.

First National Bank [Photo 52] was built in 1913 on the NW Corner of Pacific Avenue and Main Street. The bank organization had been started in 1889 by C. M. Keep and E. W. Haines. Haines built the building that stands immediately north of the bank on Main Street, about 1895-6, and then the bank building in 1912.

First Avenue North (now 21st Street) [Photo 53]. The second building of the First Congregational Church (left side) shows that this photo was taken between 1905, when the church was built, and July 1919 when it burned in a major fire that also burned many of the buildings shown here on the north side of the street. The Book Store (first building on the right side) was not burned in the fire (EGS: Also Burned!). It was bought by Mrs. Rogers to serve as a city library. The other buildings shown on the north (left) side of the street...(have been identified: Ice Cream shop, Barber shop, Oregon Land Company, The Bazaar, "Millinery," Book Store and City Library).

N. Main Street about 1930 [Photo 54]
The buildings on the west (left) side are almost the same as they are today, and as they were a decade earlier. But the right side of the street has changed. The Congregational Church sold all of the land along the side up to and including the land on which the Masonic Temple now stands.

Public Grammar School [Photo 55]
The Town Board of Trustees started a public school in 1872, in a small shack on the land now occupied by Central School. Successive additions and remodeling led to this large frame building by about 1910. In this period of time the school enrollment was increasing almost steadily. Many years the town had to rent a classroom or even two from Tualatin Academy to take care of the increasing number of students. Repeatedly a committee was appointed to find another school site, but agreement could not be reached.

Lincoln School [Photo 56] was built by the City in 1909-1910. It was large, 2 1/2 story building, with an extra roofed play shed. This building was replaced with a brick building in 1937-38. The interior of the brick school burned in the early 1970 decade, after Pacific University had bought the building.

Laughlin Hotel [Photo 57]
The Laughlin Hotel stood on the west side of A Street at the NW Corner with Pacific Avenue. The streetcars stopped in front of the hotel. In this picture, the hotel seems to be decorated for the Fourth of July celebration. The hotel was torn down in 1959, when the present Waltz and Wieber building was built.

The Yellow Electric RR [Photo 58]
In 1908 the first electric RR line, the Oregon Electric RR, built a line from Portland to Forest Grove. The line ended at a station built on the north side of 19th Street, near Ash Street. The cars were at first painted a bright orange so in Forest Grove, at least, the line was called the "Yellow Electric." The tracks ran from the station east through the corner of the campus. The last passenger car left for Portland in 1932, although freight cars continued to run after that time.

The Red Electric RR
In 1914 the Southern Pacific RR electrified some of its lines to create a faster inter-urban passenger and freight service. The cars were painted dark red, and this line was soon called "The Red Electric." The line built a station [Photo 59] in Forest Grove. Service started to Portland in 1914 and ended in 1929. The station building was then incorporated into the Burlingham & Sons building on the south side of 19th Avenue west of Main.